Performing Arts - Curriculum Page
Drama and the Performing Arts are central to providing a wide and diverse range of excellent opportunities, inside and outside the classroom, that enable our young people to develop exceptionally well both academically and personally.
Through our ambitious curriculum pupils will gain subject specific knowledge alongside skills in Drama and Performing Arts. With rich connections across subject areas, they will interleave knowledge, skills and understanding whilst developing their “soft” skills such as teamwork, confidence, communication, resilience, creativity and problem solving.
All pupils will have the opportunity to participate in Drama at KS3 with the aim that they will build knowledge and skills fundamental to success at KS4, 5 and beyond. They will be provided with the opportunity to engage in a range of extra-curricular clubs, workshops, trips and performance opportunities.
The comprehensive vision for Drama and the Performing Arts is to engage pupils in the arts, develop their wider understanding of the world and culture.
Subject Leader – Mrs Raby
Exam Board and Syllabus Code
Edexcel BTEC Level 1 / 2 Tech Award in Performing Arts Qualification (QN) 600 478 59
This course is a single option at Key Stage 4, resulting in a grade of Distinction, Merit or Pass and provides the equivalent points of 1 GCSE at 9-7
BTEC qualifications are designed to provide specialist work-related qualifications in a range of sectors. They have been developed to provide the knowledge, understanding and skills necessary to prepare learners for employment and /or to provide career development opportunities for those already in work. On successful completion of a BTEC Tech Award qualification learners may progress into or within employment and/ or continue study in the vocational area or related course of study. Pupils will study Dance, Drama and Musical Theatre.
- Component 1: Exploring the Performing Arts: A written report, research journal and presentation on a range of practitioners
- Component 2: Developing Skills and Techniques on the Performing Arts Written log book and recordings of workshops, skill development and final performance
- Component 3: Responding to a brief Devising from a stimulus, written log book and recordings of rehearsal process and final performance
Component 1 – Internal Assessment
Learners will complete a research task based on a range of singing, acting and dance practitioners and complete a presentation and piece of extended writing that demonstrates their understanding of the practitioner’s style.
Component 2 – Internal Assessment
Learners will workshop, rehearse and perform a play, song and dance inspired by a chosen practitioner. They will be assessed on their commitment to rehearsals, the range of performance skills used and on written tasks in log books that should demonstrate consistent self-reflection and evaluation.
Component 3 - External Assessment
Learners will create a performance based on an externally assessed set brief. They will be assessed on how they develop the work, range of performance skills used and on written tasks in log books that should demonstrate consistent self-reflection and evaluation.
It is important to note that there is an expectation that pupils attend theatre trips (when available) and rehearse in their own time to pass the BTEC Performing Arts Course. The main home learning is work towards the performing arts log; research, reflection, analysis and evaluation. Learning lines, lyrics and dances in their own time as well as rehearsing.
- Coursework 100% - practical and theoretical evidence
How Parents and Carers Can Support
- Ensure pupils attend all theatre trips and visits (when available)
- Help and encourage pupils to complete all log and written work due in, checking TEAMS and pupil planners for work
- Observe and give constructive feedback to any performance preparations
- Encourage and support pupils in attending extra-curricular activities and out of school lessons to develop skills
Additional Support Available/ Useful Links
- www.pearson.co.uk (specification, mark schemes and examiners reports)
- Blood Brothers by Willie Russell
- Blue Remembered Hills by Dennis Potter
- DNA by Dennis Kelly
- Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
- Peter Pan by JM Barrie
Drama Knowledge Organiser