Guidance on the Wearing of Face Coverings
The College has put all the necessary arrangements in place for school re-opening and we are following the control measures set out in the Government guidance. The wearing of face coverings in communal areas is compulsory for all students and staff on the main college site including at Rise@GHC.
The following must be adhered to:
- All students are expected to wear a face covering on entering the main college site on arrival and as they leave the site on dismissal.
- All students in all year groups must wear a face covering in communal areas during the college day such as corridors, Inner Link, social spaces etc.
- All students must put on their face covering before they leave their class as a matter of routine - every time, without exception.
- Students may remove their face covering when eating/drinking in the restaurant or other allocated area for break/lunch (eg. restaurant terrace), but not until they are seated and ready to eat/drink.
- If a student arrives without a face covering, the College will provide them with one.
- From Monday 9 November 2020, students who fail to wear a face covering or wear it inappropriately will receive a 30-minute detention. Parents/carers will be informed of this in advance.
In line with the Government guidance, face coverings are not necessary in classrooms and learning spaces (including PE) during the course of the normal timetabled day. Students should keep their face covering safe and secure on their person when not in use.
The College will be sensitive to the needs of individuals who are exempt from wearing face coverings, including those who:
- Cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or impairment or disability
- Need to speak to or provide assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expression to communicate
- Students who meet these criteria will be given a laminated exemption card.
Guidance on the wearing of face coverings:
- Face coverings should only cover the mouth and nose – they should not be worn on the neck or forehead
- Face coverings are for personal use only – they must not be given to or shared with anyone else
- They should be of a plain or neutral, inoffensive pattern
- Students should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before putting a face covering on
- They should be worn appropriately and sensibly.
Safe removal of face coverings:
For both disposable and reusable face coverings:
- Students should not touch the front of their face covering while removing it - only handle the straps or ties
- Students should wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before and after removing.
- Students wearing a disposal face covering should remove it and place it in the bins provided.
- Students wearing a reusable face covering should remove it, place it in their own personal sealable plastic bag, eg a sandwich bag or ziplock bag and place in their bag in order for them to take it home.
Travel to and from College:
- If travelling on public transport to and from College or lift sharing, all students should wear a face covering as per government guidance.
Where PPE is recommended:
- PPE will be worn by staff where an individual child or young person becomes ill with coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms while at school, and only then if a distance of 2 metres cannot be maintained.
This protocol will be kept under constant review.