Health and Social Care
- Mrs R Pegg
YEAR 10 and 11
Exam Board and syllabus code
EDEXCEL BTEC - Level 2 Tech Award in Health and Social Care
This course is concerned with the development and needs of varying service users within Health and Social Care settings.
- Physical Development – how the body and mind changes over its lifetime
- Emotional Development – how individual’s needs change and develop over time
- Core values – what values do we need to adhere to when working with vulnerable and specific individuals with varying needs
- Healthy Living – why is it important to be healthy and ways to maintain our health and well-being
Pupils are required to complete 3 units across the course. One unit will be assessed through and an internal controlled assessment and the remaining two units will be assessed through internally assessed coursework tasks.
Internal Controlled Assessment Unit
- Unit 3 – Healthy Living (3 hour controlled assessment over a week)
Internally Assessed Core Unit
- Unit 1 – Human Lifespan Development (2 Coursework Tasks)
- Unit 2 – Health and Social Care Core Values (2 Coursework Tasks)
Home learning is set every fortnight as per the Home learning timetable, however depending of needs it may be given more or less frequently.
With regards to coursework preparation, BTEC coursework may not be done outside of college and therefore home learning will consist of exam preparation and research to support coursework tasks.
How Parents and Carers Can Support
- Encourage your child to ask teachers for help if there are any difficulties
- Encourage your son/daughter to observe the deadlines
- Encourage your child to attend any after school revision sessions
- Encourage them to make use of the College LRC, public libraries and computer resources if they are available at home
- Encourage your so/daughter to attend Catch-Up sessions on a Monday in A006 with Mrs Pegg.
Additional Support Available/Useful Links
We do run after college sessions and we do provide textbooks and revision guides to support pupils in this subject.
There are also practice controlled assessment questions, revision materials on student’s common drive for students to access either at college or via remote access.
- Collins BTEC First Health and Social Care